Thursday, September 08, 2005





The Buddha

After lifetimes of f-ing around
He was finally able to smile
- ineffably


Meet The Family!

My mother gave the ivory statues to me - said my grandfather on my father's side who lived in Accra on(the then) Gold Coast (now Ghana) got them off a sailor who'd been to Japan? China?

There's the old sage again, this time in a sea of bones. My father was Professor of Anatomy at the University of the West Indies. His research field was growth of the cranium. So the old sage is surrounded by (I think they're) pig skulls. Could be rabbits. I spent my childhood in Jamaica. My father died a year ago. I'm arranging and photographing all his bones, he's got cupboards full of them. Maybe I'll make a bone sculpture. A fitting epitaph for an anatomist.

ARRGH! BUFF! BIFF! BAFF! TAKE THAT, SCUMPOT GAIJIN!

My Japanese girlfriend, Miho, was quintessentially Japanese - but couldn't live in Japan. The Japanese guys who'd been sent to learn German at the Goethe Institute, Kochel am Kochelsee, Bavaria, where I met her, had been taught to sit up and beg. They were going on to be diplomats, bowers, scrapers. To them, Miho was just a 'Modern Girl' who thought 'the West' was where it was at and had thus rejected her Japanese-ness. They were wide of the mark. She was Japan. They were just performing monkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home