Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Gaultier (the making of)

As you could tell from my earlier post (The Sewing of Me), I am currently editing reams of footage I recorded whilst in Bosnia. I have found the process powerful, if a little disorientating. I'd be watching and editing the footage, then would take a walk, and wonder what am I doing in London. Part of me was relieved to be walking peacefully along the Thames, while my brain was processing sequences, conversations, dresses, coffees...
I'm also wondering how on earth to compile it all, so that it not only makes sense, but that others who will listen to my presentation will be able to feel and re-live the atmosphere. How to edit time, when people's relationship to time in Bosnia (or anywhere else) is in a way part of their character (national?)...And people in Bosnia DO take their time!
And so I freeze time. I love making stills from the video footage. And, here are stills from a clip, where my mother is explaining to me how she will make a copy of Jean Paul Gaultier's outfit I chose to wear for the presentation at the Tate. I thought it would be fitting to wear a copy of a designer outfit myself, as a sort of a costume for my performance.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home